Friday, November 5, 2010

Jeru-salaam

I finally made it to the Holy City - walked the Via Dolorosa (the path Jesus carried the cross on the way to his crucifixion) and ate some blow-your-mind-good hummus.

You can see the wall in the background, the one that separates the West Bank from Israel. In the foreground is part of the checkpoint we went through to enter the city. I can't imagine how people do this on a daily basis to get to work or school. We stood in one line for maybe 20 minutes before it became clear that the guards had abandoned it. We switched lines maybe three more times before standing and waiting another 30 minutes or so to be grumped at by a 20-year old boy on a power trip. It was cramped and dirty and there were bars and gates everywhere that opened and locked at the whim of the guards. Not fun.

Damascus Gate, entrance to the Old City.

Wall next to the Gate.

The Western Wall. This photo is of the men's side. The women have their own partitioned section. I wish I could say this was a spiritual experience, but I can at least say it was fascinating. I'll have to go back on Shabat when there are more people. Not sure why but you're supposed to walk backwards when leaving the wall; makes it very difficult not to bump in to chairs or other people.

Dome of the Rock. Our guidebook steered us wrong and told us the incorrect visitor hours. Luckily, the guard guys appreciated the work we are doing in Nablus and sent a kid to go take beautiful pictures of it for me.

Church of the Holy Sepulchre with I think a Crusaders flag on top. Believed by many to be the site of Gologotha - where Jesus was crucified - and also believed to be where he was buried. Next time I will visit the Garden Tomb.

So many stinking tourists. I may be a tourist but at least I don't travel in packs.


The Stone of Unction or Anointing, allegedly the spot where Jesus' body was prepared for burial. People put their hands/handkerchiefs/lips on it to absorb some of the holiness. Yes, I touched it.

Nicest kitty I've met in weeks. She sat on my lap and ate some of our food. All the other cats are so skittish. One of the locals in Nablus said it's because little boys kick them and throw rocks at them.

View from our picnic spot on the rooftops of the Old City.

No comments:

Post a Comment