Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ma as-salaamah Nablus


The office


Sharia An-Najah Al-Qadim, where I lived and worked.


Jacob's Well. Jacob, son of Isaac and Rebekah, is the ancestor of the tribes of Israel and most religions associate this well with him. This is supposed to be the well where Jesus asked the Samaritan woman to give him water.


Fadi



My Askar regugee camp class threw me a pretty amazing party with food and presents. These are some of my girls.



The crazy boys.


Fadi, on the far left, standing like the disciplinarian he necessarily was during classes.


The poor turkey they slaughtered for me on Thanksgiving. We are taking a break on our walk to the oven shop.


At a Ceili (pronounced like Kaylig or Kaylee or something. I have trouble understanding those Scots and Irishmen.): traditional Gaelic line dance. Way fun; I don't know why we don't have its equivalent in America.



Not-so-clean Nablus and the posters of martyrs found all over the city.


Bombed void where a soap factory used to be; on my route home from classes.


My falafel place and falafel man. Mmmmm.



So many emaciated and skittish kitties.


With hills comes stairs. So many stairs.


That's my apartment up there!


Sad that it's the last time I'll enter the volunteers' apartment.


But excited to go home for Christmas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment